Wednesday 7 June 2017

I Muse... A Cachet Solution!

In last week's blog post I considered the pros and cons of expanding my Albert Decaris collection to include First Day Cover cachets and postcards illustrated by him. Click HERE to have a look. As I said last week, undertaking such a collection would be very time-consuming and I may not know how many items are actually available to collect. I immediately fell in love with all the items I spotted, but a lot seemed more expensive, especially regarding postage. This stands to reason since envelopes are much larger to send in the mail.

So I figured the best way to make my decision was to have a really good, extended look at just what is available and get a feel for the amounts of postage people are asking. The first problem I encountered was what type of search to do. If I searched by year I would have to trawl through potentially hundreds of pages to find perhaps only one or two items. Then I tried a "Decaris" search. This yielded some results, but the items available with Decaris in the title on average were higher priced than normal. Almost as if sellers were putting a premium on it being listed as Decaris.

Then I hit upon another idea after finding one FDC really cheap. I went into his shop and browsed through that. I know this isn't exactly an earth shattering idea! I had just assumed doing it this way could be even more time consuming, and with the potential of getting side-tracked. But this time around, I hit pay-dirt. This particular seller I happened to stumble upon is currently in the process of liquidating his FDC collection. Bingo! And to top it off, he still had a good range of stock and his prices were rock-bottom. The only downside was that I probably found more stuff than my budget could safely carry without dropping to its knees and crying in pain.  

I realise that I'm not always going to stumble upon such philatelic honey-holes, but the opportunity to get the burgeoning collection up and running enabled me to make that all-important collection decision. And the decision, if you haven't already guessed, is a big YES. I am going to give expanding my Decaris collection a go. And to be totally honest, making the decision gave me quite a cool high. Isn't that what collecting is ultimately all about?

My budget will now probably be yelling at me for a few weeks, but I went ahead and got as many items as I could from the seller. Below are some images. They are poor quality, but I'll post up better scans as I sort through them. For now, these images will offer you a taste of what's to come...














Until next time...


1 comment:

  1. Ah, the joys of getting hooked! I agree wholeheartedly with you: just go for it and see where it takes you. There will always be unexpected finds if you keep looking long and hard enough, specially with FDCs. They're not everybody's cup of tea, and FDCs in general have a bit of a bad name, so you should be able to find bargains. It's what I found when looking for the FDCs from Czechoslovakia and subsequent nations.
    :-)
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete